05 October 2011

Lunch Habits

My mother packed my father's lunch every day. He had a domed, construction worker style lunch box which always had a thermos full of coffee or soup, a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a cold pack, maybe a cookie if we had some.  Minus the cold pack, it was probably much the same as the lunches he took to school as a boy.

I don't make fancy bentos. I learned long ago, and re-learn continously, that fancy and I are not friends. I'm okay with that.  Not making the fanciest lunches doesn't stop me from making lunches that nourish my family. My bentos won't become internet sensations, and possibly don't even really qualify as bentos, what with all the boring, but if 30 years from now my boys think a packed lunch includes a serving or two of vegetables (and maybe a cookie if they have one) then I'll be pleased.

What's for lunch
slightly more colorful than last week

Bento Lunch
Check out the other lunches this week.

3 comments:

  1. I remember that lunchbox.

    Though you left out the part where Mom made sandwiches in bulk and froze them. I remember getting more than one sandwich that was still ice-cold in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mention it because I'd forgotten it, or perhaps repressed it. It's all come back to me know. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, and so healthy! Would you like to come over and link up your post to my new link party featuring lunchbox ideas? You can find it here: http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2011/10/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-4-and.html.

    Thanks!
    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...