13 November 2012

Pumpking-Ginger-Walnut-Oatmeal Muffins

I had this idea in my head that I wanted pumpkin granola muffins, with the granola acting as a less-sweet streusel topping. I borrowed Maud's pumpkin bread recipe. (It's not on her blog. You should harass her about that.)

The muffins weren't a disaster. Muffins rarely are. But they weren't great. No one loved them.

The recipe uses one half of a can of pumpkin, so then there was a half can of pumpkin in my refrigerator, mocking me and my failed muffins.

(We'll ignore what else might have been mocking me recently. This is about muffins. Whatever else is wrong it seems only fair that I should be able to produce a decent batch of muffins.)

So I went back and tried again. I swapped out some oatmeal for some of the flour, added in crystallized ginger and walnuts. In the process I discovered what might have been a critical error in the last batch.) And then I put it in oven, told facebook all about it, and waited.  


Pumpkin Muffins and Coffee 

Unlike the other things I've been waiting on, this worked out exactly as well as I'd hoped.

Pumpking-Ginger-Walnut-Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pureed pumpkin (half a small can)
1/4 cup water

1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Oil a standard muffin tin.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Whisk together the wet ingredients.

Add the wet ingredients, ginger and walnuts to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.  Bake 18-22 minutes, rotating the tin at 12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in a center muffin comes out clean.

Remove from tin to a cooling rack as soon as possible. Allow to cool for as long as you can resist the aroma.

(Pumpking? Yes. Because I keep typing it that way. I don't know why. But now it's stuck.)

5 comments:

  1. Those look - and sound - amazing.

    I got my recipe off the Internet, but I've no idea where, so I suppose I'll bow to public demand (ahem) and do something about that on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum. And that cup of tea next to the muffin looks so inviting. There's even a chair. Perhaps I can sit down there and the muffin will be within reach. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be within reach. But there's another table, over next to the chair. I'll put your muffin there. Let me know when you're coming and the tea will be ready for you.

      Delete
  3. Here's a link to my pumpkin bread, by the way: http://www.thedcmoms.com/2013/04/quick-and-easy-sneaky-pumpkin-bread/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I was actually going to go looking for this. I just today promised a friend a loaf of pumpkin bread.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...