04 December 2010

Toasted Oats: Changing my mind


The lovely and talented Justine left a suggestion on my post about cooking steel cut oats, so I had to try it. I always do what Justine tells me, because in addition to being lovely and talented she's very smart.

Toasted oats, people! You must toast your oats! MUST! Why? Because it makes them taste all toasty and nutty and yum and you will love it. Also, because if you follow my instructions you can wake up to a pot of oats which requires only enough heat to warm through and then it's done. No fuss, no muss.

The night before you want oatmeal for breakfast, measure out your water and put it on to boil. I use a ratio of 1 part oats to 3 parts water. I use an electric kettle and I really think everyone with electricity should own one, but a kettle on the stove will do as well.

Put a large pot over low heat. Toss in a pat of butter (or don't if you'd rather not. This will work either way.) to melt. Measure and add your oats. Add a pinch of salt. Stir gently to coat the oats in butter and to prevent burning.

Go ahead, put your face close to the pot and inhale deeply. It's a gorgeous, comforting smell. Just don't burn your nose. When your water is boiling and the oats begin to smell toasty, pour the water over the oats and put the lid on the pot. Turn off the heat.

Go to bed.

When you wake up in the morning, turn the heat on low again, and stir occasionally until the porridge is not too cold, not too hot, but just right. Eat right away so that some little blonde girl doesn't break into your house and eat it all up.

mmmm....

2 comments:

  1. *grin* I'm so glad that you approve! I love inhaling that smell, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit, why don't I have any oats in the house right now. Will remedy that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...