03 January 2011

Unresolved #1: Waffles


New Year's
Resolution #1

There are a lot of changes coming for me, and while I'm not making New Year's resolutions per se, it seems appropriate that these changes come at a traditional time of starting over. And while some of these changes revolve around my health, I'm not going to go too crazy. You'll find no promises to give up carbs or fat or whatever it is all the cool people are giving up these days.

I will be trying to be more aware of what I'm eating, and not eating things which aren't good. What's that you say? “Of course you shouldn't eat things that aren't good. Who does that?” Me. I do that. I eat things when I'm not really hungry and I sometimes eat things that aren't really tasty even though there's no reason. If I'm going to stuff myself full of something, I want it to be something lovely, eaten in a way that acknowledges that food is not just fuel.

So unresolution number one is to make more waffles. These are good waffles. They are brown and crisp outside and light and fluffy inside. And because my waffle iron only makes four at a time, I cannot eat too fast. Everybody gets a waffle and then we have to wait for the next batch to be done before we can have another waffle. In the meantime my family is sitting together. 

A word about waffle irons: First, it works best if you give them plenty of time to heat up.  I plug mine in before I start mixing the waffles.  Second,  cook them until they're done, regardless of what your iron's indicator says.  My waffle iron has a light that is supposed to tell you when the waffles are done. But it's wrong. So I follow two guidelines: steam and smell.  I watch the steam. The steam is produced as the inside of the waffle is cooked and the liquid boils away. The waffle is not done until the the amount of steam lessens. I smell the waffles.   Almost as soon as the waffles start cooking they smell good, but there is a change, right around the time the steam decreases that it starts to smell done. That's when I open the iron.




Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles

9 ½ ounces white whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar (yes, you could skip it, but it really helps the browning and the flavor.)
3 whole eggs
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
16 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
non-stick spray for the waffle iron

Plug in your waffle iron.

Melt butter and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs, then add buttermilk, sugar and melted butter. Stir to combine.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Allow to rest for at least five minutes.

Spray the waffle iron lightly with non-stick spray and cook waffles until golden brown and delicious. 

We serve with maple syrup, but these lovely things will take whatever you throw at them.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've said this, but *I* "do that" ... I'm not sure if it's stress eating or what, but my mouth is not mindful. Especially if I make some strange concoction of sugar and fat after everyone's gone to bed. It's a bad habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very common problem, I think. Particularly if you are too busy, or not busy enough, or have something wearing on your mind.

    I also tend to eat too fast, not realizing I've had enough until half a plate too late.

    These look delicious! I want to learn how to make crepes this year.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...