07 January 2012

Menu Planning

The men of the household are at the barber shop getting haircuts.  I am home making menu plans.  (No, come back.  I swear I am still a feminist.  I have righteous indignation and everything, just not about menu planning.  My husband does the grocery shopping!)

Here is the plan for this week:
click to embiggen









The page numbers with no initials are from Supermarket Vegan. Menu planning is not commandment carving and sometimes things from last week get shifted to this week.  The pages marked "sne" are recipes from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks.  Heidi is the cook I want to be when I grow up, and I love her cookbook.  I just haven't done much with it yet, so it made sense to pull it off the shelf this morning.  There are so many wonderful pictures, it's hard to pick.  I know this is a book I'll be going back to as the seasons change.

You'll notice that I don't plan a lot of breakfasts and lunches.  Breakfasts tend to be pretty basic, oatmeal, bagel with smear, granola, etc.  I only need to plan if I want to get out of the rut.  Lunches are often leftovers or just sliced veggies and an egg.  I say there's no shame in scrounging around in the fridge. I'm slightly more organized if there are people coming over, but that doesn't happen often.

Sunday lunch is often eaten out, but I've planned to pack a lunch because it's going to be a nice day and we might just go to the church playground and let to boys run around with their friends. Most Tuesday nights we have friends over, hence the double batch. And Friday night is a concession to my poor, vegetable stuffed husband.

3 comments:

  1. Is that a homemade chart or do you have some kind of nifty thing that also generates shopping lists?

    I used to have a recipe software that would do weekly menus and generate shopping lists but it stopped working sometime around 1997. I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this for calorie. I put my food intake into Daily Burn for the past few days and it is atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, this is just a google docs spread sheet, a page for the chart and a page for the shopping list which I build by hand.

    Chris, you may find that planning meals (and sticking to the plan) cuts your calories automatically. Food diaries are a proven weight loss technique.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...