15 December 2012

A small offering

"Breathe in and out."

That's what I'd tell them, the parents who woke this morning, if they slept at all, still living the nightmare from yesterday, if I had occasion to speak with them, if they asked me how they should go on. But they are many states away, and I don't know them. I'm fairly sure they don't want my opinion.


But you are here, which means you probably know me, and might care about my opinion.  I've written about grief a good deal. I don't have any new insights since my last bout of sermonizing.

So here is a run down of what I've written already:

I don't know what to say, reprint, originally from December 2009
How the story of Job teaches us what to do when our friends are hurting.

On the Phone, August 2010
What to say to people who are grieving.


What it means to Pray, August 2010
If prayer doesn't come easily, or if you think you can't pray, this is a simple way to start.

When the Lid is Taken Off of Your Life, December 2012
A sermon I preached recently on what it means to get ready for a personal crisis.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all of that. I was just thinking about the lid coming off last night.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...