15 February 2013

Small Changes and Vegan Cornbread

A quick car-less update:

I have walked fourteen miles in the past three days.
Reflective
The vests are very reflective, so are the straps on big boy's backpack.

On Wednesday, when dance classes were over, I picked up the small boy and said "Are you ready to walk home?"

"Yes!" he answered with great enthusiasm. "Mommy, will you carry me?"  His enthusiasm wavered when I explained that I would not be carrying him all the way home.

The reflective vests were the source of much excitement, and might have kept the boys cheerful all the way home despite the pouring rain, but big boy slipped on the wet pavement and banged up his head and his knee. Neither was serious, but they did away with all sense of adventure.

It's been better since then, because it hasn't rained and there's been less walking.

Tracing
Walking means we can stop at the signs and trace the letters.

balanced
And we can use parking lots to practice balancing.



I have  a dinner meeting to attend this evening. My friend volunteered to make dinner for the group, and I offered to make bread. The dinner plans changed when we found out one of our new members is vegan. Out went the lasagna and in came chili. Out went the crusty loaf and in came the vegan cornbread. I packed everything into my largest mixing bowl and baked on site.

Baking supplies ready to go.

There is a phantom jar of baking powder in my house. I believe that I own an almost full jar of baking powder, purchased when I was on vacation last year. I've been using the dangerously-close-to-empty jar, because I can never find the full one. I'm sure I saw the full jar earlier this week, so when I was out buying ingredients today I didn't get baking powder. When it came time to mix the dry ingredients, I couldn't find the almost full jar. I made a double batch of the corn bread, which meant I needed two entire tablespoons of baking powder. The now-empty jar contained at most one and three quarters tablespoons.  In BakeWise, Shirley Corriher claims that most American recipes are over-leavened, so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. It worked out fine, and everyone at the table was fed.This was a very wet recipe, so I think in future I will make sure that all of the baking powder is accounted for.

Vegan Cornbread

Vegan Cornbread
adapted from Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 (8.5 ounce) cans creamed corn
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Oil one 8x8 glass baking dish and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir for one minute to mix thoroughly.

In a large bowl, stir together water, creamed corn and olive oil. Add dry ingredient and mix until just combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.

1 comment:

  1. love the vests. Good for you for making this "small change" with the boys, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...