Skip to main content

Fast Food: Apple Cheddar Quesadillas


It was my day to co-op at my sons' school, and I had a client meeting 25 minutes away in the afternoon. School ends at 11:30 and the meeting was at 1:00. Normally that would have been plenty of time to get the kids home, fed and safely deposited in the loving embrace of the playroom where they could occupy themselves and enjoy the benevolent neglect of their father who was working from home in the next room.

But of course nothing is ever simple and I was the only co-oping parent instead of being one of two, and my older son's class let out a bit late due to some flower planting and a trapped possum. I got home much later than I had expected. I did at least have a plan. We had good cheddar and tortillas in the refrigerator, and in the fruit drawer of the pantry there were a couple of good baking apples.

My goal was to make these as quickly as possible. I used an apple corer-slicer, but a knife would do just as well, grated my own cheese and had both boys eating less than 10 minutes after I got in the door. I even had time to eat my own food in a moderately civilized fashion before I had to leave. (I didn't get the boys settled in the playroom. Their father had to do that.)

Apple cheddar
quesadilla


Any good crisp apple will do here. A pie apple will hold up better than an eating apple. Use really flavorful cheddar both to contrast with the sweetness of the apple and so you can use less. If you're not a fan of cheddar, other cheeses would work well. Brie would be brilliant, but you might never want to eat anything else again, so be careful. I heat the tortilla on one side, and then flip and add the apple slices then the cheddar, and then fold the empty half of the tortilla over the top. Once the cheddar starts to melt down between the apples slices flip the quesadilla over and cook until the cheese is fully melted. The apples will just barely soften and sweeten. You will wonder why people eat ordinary grilled cheese.

Comments

  1. Yum. Also, I need to hear the story about the possum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is genuis. Alas, I just got back from the store, and I did not buy cheddar cheese. Or Brie. And I refuse to use mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maud, yesterday the Forest room played possum because Ms. Pam needed them to be still and quiet for a minute. Today when they went outside to plant flowers around Ms. Cheryl's tree they discovered a possum trapped in the deep bowl at the skate park. Naturally they all had to go and check out the poor possum. I am told that animal control was called. I'm sorry I couldn't watch the capture. I'm sure it was good comedy.

    jhl, mozzarella wouldn't be right at all. Perhaps there will be a market tomorrow morning with some artisanal cheese?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Butter(less) Chickpeas

On Monday morning I got a call from a client, warning that my services would be needed soon. The threat of labor makes me pretty efficient. I filled and ran the dishwasher, cleaned the sink, took the boys grocery shopping, got the groceries put away, fed the boys lunch, emptied the dishwasher, made snack and dinner for the boys, filled the dogs' water, cleaned the dog' ears, and put the flowers in the vase. I spent the rest of Monday at the birth, watching a skilled nurse-midwife facilitate the VBAC my client wanted despite circumstances that might have sent some providers running for the operating room. It was a great birth, the baby was perfect and I'm glad I was there to witness it. But it meant that I didn't get to bed until 2:00 in the morning. When I say that I am a morning person, I do not mean 2:00 in the morning. A mere five hours later the sun was up and my children were up and my husband was getting ready to leave for work. I had a follow-up scheduled for...

Making Christmas

Years ago, when my parents married, my mother asked my father what he would like her to make for Christmas. He asked for Julekake, a Scandinavian Christmas bread. It was common in the bakeries in my father's childhood Chicago, but it was more difficult to find in the small Army towns where my father was posted, so my mother found a recipe, and baked her own. We ate it with eggs or bacon or sausage every Christmas breakfast of my childhood. My mother baked simple round loaves studded with raisins and candied cherries. When I grew up I swapped out dried cherries for the candied ones. I baked it in the oven of my boyfriend's apartment before I went to share Christmas with his family, inhaled the scent of them to make it Christmas when the traditions around me were not my own. I've discovered that the fruit is not mandatory, though I'd never leave it out. A braid is traditional, and I'll make a braided loaf when I have time, though for gift giving I ...

Brown-Butter Buttercream Birthday Cake

Brown-Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream I have come here today to confess to Almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned.  In full knowledge of the importance of birthday cakes , I did willfully try to get away with making a pound cake for a friend's birthday because I didn't want to be bothered with frosting a layer cake. My feet were only set back on the path to righteousness by a stern rebuke from my friend's husband. (Okay, not a stern rebuke, but "statement of my friend's mild preference" seems sort of anti-climactic, doesn't it?) And, as it turned out, a different friend of mine had spurred a thread about brown butter over on Facebook and I had filed away the phrase "brown-butter buttercream" for future use. So I decided that if I was going to frost a cake I was going to do it with style. The first step is to brown the butter, which is a simple matter so long as you're willing to hang around the kitc...