Skip to main content

Am I supposed to believe?

This is a repost from an old blog. Apologies if you've seen it before.

Am I supposed to believe that God walked in the Garden with Adam and Eve?

Am I supposed to believe that God asked Cain where Abel had gone?

Am I supposed to believe that God gave Noah detailed plans for building the ark?

Am I supposed to believe that God told Abraham to take his family and go to another land?

Am I supposed to believe that God sent an angel to save Isaac at the last minute?

Am I supposed to believe that God wrestled with Jacob, blessed him, and named his Israel?

Am I supposed to believe that God had a purpose for Joseph?

Am I supposed to believe that God spoke to Moses from a burning bush?

Am I supposed to believe that God sent many prophets?

Am I supposed to believe that God spoke to Job from the whirlwind?

Am I supposed to believe that God sent His only Son to walk among us?

Am I supposed to believe that God sent the Holy Spirit down like tongues of fire?

And if I am supposed to believe all of that, am I then supposed to believe that God has had nothing new to say, no new revelations for us, in the two thousand years since? Am I supposed to believe that words that were written down nearly two thousand years ago are God's final words to his people? Am I supposed to believe that God spoke to His people in many tongues for thousands of years and then just stopped?

I don't believe it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter(less) Chickpeas

On Monday morning I got a call from a client, warning that my services would be needed soon. The threat of labor makes me pretty efficient. I filled and ran the dishwasher, cleaned the sink, took the boys grocery shopping, got the groceries put away, fed the boys lunch, emptied the dishwasher, made snack and dinner for the boys, filled the dogs' water, cleaned the dog' ears, and put the flowers in the vase. I spent the rest of Monday at the birth, watching a skilled nurse-midwife facilitate the VBAC my client wanted despite circumstances that might have sent some providers running for the operating room. It was a great birth, the baby was perfect and I'm glad I was there to witness it. But it meant that I didn't get to bed until 2:00 in the morning. When I say that I am a morning person, I do not mean 2:00 in the morning. A mere five hours later the sun was up and my children were up and my husband was getting ready to leave for work. I had a follow-up scheduled for...

Making Christmas

Years ago, when my parents married, my mother asked my father what he would like her to make for Christmas. He asked for Julekake, a Scandinavian Christmas bread. It was common in the bakeries in my father's childhood Chicago, but it was more difficult to find in the small Army towns where my father was posted, so my mother found a recipe, and baked her own. We ate it with eggs or bacon or sausage every Christmas breakfast of my childhood. My mother baked simple round loaves studded with raisins and candied cherries. When I grew up I swapped out dried cherries for the candied ones. I baked it in the oven of my boyfriend's apartment before I went to share Christmas with his family, inhaled the scent of them to make it Christmas when the traditions around me were not my own. I've discovered that the fruit is not mandatory, though I'd never leave it out. A braid is traditional, and I'll make a braided loaf when I have time, though for gift giving I ...

Brown-Butter Buttercream Birthday Cake

Brown-Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream I have come here today to confess to Almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned.  In full knowledge of the importance of birthday cakes , I did willfully try to get away with making a pound cake for a friend's birthday because I didn't want to be bothered with frosting a layer cake. My feet were only set back on the path to righteousness by a stern rebuke from my friend's husband. (Okay, not a stern rebuke, but "statement of my friend's mild preference" seems sort of anti-climactic, doesn't it?) And, as it turned out, a different friend of mine had spurred a thread about brown butter over on Facebook and I had filed away the phrase "brown-butter buttercream" for future use. So I decided that if I was going to frost a cake I was going to do it with style. The first step is to brown the butter, which is a simple matter so long as you're willing to hang around the kitc...