Skip to main content

What to do

 I have been thinking about what to do with the toxic pieces of your family history:

The bank letter of credit issued to the cotton merchant.

The portrait of a man and wife who were on the wrong side of a war, 

not the losing side 

the wrong side.

The letter crafted to convey the most pain in perfect rolling script.


The hurt feelings that have no physical form but are 

solid all the same; 

weight that you carry.

The heroic stories you believed when you were small

But now you realize they have no heroes in them

You can burn them, 

store them in the attic, 

put them in a box you give to your cousins at Christmas, 

fling them without ceremony in a dumpster on the other side of town and drive away quickly, 

keep them wrapped in archival tissue paper and take them out to show at family gatherings. 


If anyone objects you can say that things were different then. 

Offer no further explanation.

You can weaponize them:

use them to fuel 

your pride, 

your despair, 

your righteous indignation


until you are consumed.

You can run them through a shredder, mix them with water and concrete and build a fire pit out of them, letting them carry smoke up to the sky on fine summer evenings. You can bury them in the deepest hole you can dig.

Cover them with leaves and mulch

Plant flowers over them

Take it as a sign when the flowers bloom,

or die.

But what you cannot do is get rid of them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter(less) Chickpeas

On Monday morning I got a call from a client, warning that my services would be needed soon. The threat of labor makes me pretty efficient. I filled and ran the dishwasher, cleaned the sink, took the boys grocery shopping, got the groceries put away, fed the boys lunch, emptied the dishwasher, made snack and dinner for the boys, filled the dogs' water, cleaned the dog' ears, and put the flowers in the vase. I spent the rest of Monday at the birth, watching a skilled nurse-midwife facilitate the VBAC my client wanted despite circumstances that might have sent some providers running for the operating room. It was a great birth, the baby was perfect and I'm glad I was there to witness it. But it meant that I didn't get to bed until 2:00 in the morning. When I say that I am a morning person, I do not mean 2:00 in the morning. A mere five hours later the sun was up and my children were up and my husband was getting ready to leave for work. I had a follow-up scheduled for...

Making Christmas

Years ago, when my parents married, my mother asked my father what he would like her to make for Christmas. He asked for Julekake, a Scandinavian Christmas bread. It was common in the bakeries in my father's childhood Chicago, but it was more difficult to find in the small Army towns where my father was posted, so my mother found a recipe, and baked her own. We ate it with eggs or bacon or sausage every Christmas breakfast of my childhood. My mother baked simple round loaves studded with raisins and candied cherries. When I grew up I swapped out dried cherries for the candied ones. I baked it in the oven of my boyfriend's apartment before I went to share Christmas with his family, inhaled the scent of them to make it Christmas when the traditions around me were not my own. I've discovered that the fruit is not mandatory, though I'd never leave it out. A braid is traditional, and I'll make a braided loaf when I have time, though for gift giving I ...

Brown-Butter Buttercream Birthday Cake

Brown-Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream I have come here today to confess to Almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned.  In full knowledge of the importance of birthday cakes , I did willfully try to get away with making a pound cake for a friend's birthday because I didn't want to be bothered with frosting a layer cake. My feet were only set back on the path to righteousness by a stern rebuke from my friend's husband. (Okay, not a stern rebuke, but "statement of my friend's mild preference" seems sort of anti-climactic, doesn't it?) And, as it turned out, a different friend of mine had spurred a thread about brown butter over on Facebook and I had filed away the phrase "brown-butter buttercream" for future use. So I decided that if I was going to frost a cake I was going to do it with style. The first step is to brown the butter, which is a simple matter so long as you're willing to hang around the kitc...