Skip to main content

Vanilla Bean Tea Cake

Is it a tea cake? Is it a bread? A young visitor insisted that my freshly baked offering wasn't cake at all as there was no frosting. So we offered it as vanilla bread instead, like banana bread, without the banana. He agreed that he might like banana bread without banana, and tried a bite.

Featuring
Vanilla Cake

Where is the line between cake and bread. Is a muffin something in-between or is it something altogether different? What should we call muffins that are really sweet, fluffy cakes sold in paper wrappers in coffee shops? Are there lines at all, or is it just a continuum of floury goodness?
Should we worry less about what we call things and more about making them wonderful, and then offering them up to guests, even skeptical guests? Should we go bake up this moist, flavorful cake and then brew a pot of tea? Absolutely.

Three Kinds of
Cake
Banana Cranberry Bread, Vanilla Tea Cake, Gingerbread


I used vanilla bean seeds because it adds great vanilla flavor and the specks of bean add an interesting visual feature. I baked this in two mini-loaf pans from King Arthur Flour. I'm a little bit in love with these pans, because they're adorable and because it makes it easy to put part of the treat away for another time.

(Oh, and because this is made with the creaming method it is definitely a cake, but I won't contradict any guest who wants to believe otherwise.)

Vanilla Tea Bread
(adapted from Shammy's vanilla tea cake)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 vanilla bean
8 1/4 ounces cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teasoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Method:
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Prepare two mini-loaf pans or one six-inch round cake pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved. Beat in the egg. Cut and scrape the vanilla bean (see video below), then beat the seeds into the butter mixture. Set aside.


Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk at least 30 seconds to distribute leavening.

Beat 1/3 of flour mixture into butter mixture, then beat in half the milk, half the remaining flour, the remaining milk and finally the remaining flour.

Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes then remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

Comments

  1. That gingerbread looks amazing. I hope it's coming soon... (I mean, to the blog, not my house; though I certainly wouldn't turn it away, but you don't have to pander to my every whim just to get a playdate.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to call something a "cake" if it has frosting. And a quickbread if it doesn't. But you're right, tea cakes land somewhere in the middle. Though this one almost looks like it's been iced ... and of course it doesn't matter, because I can smell it, and taste it, from here. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be a chance of a visit in April if you'd be willing to put me up for a night. I'd be happy to bring you some then.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Butter(less) Chickpeas

On Monday morning I got a call from a client, warning that my services would be needed soon. The threat of labor makes me pretty efficient. I filled and ran the dishwasher, cleaned the sink, took the boys grocery shopping, got the groceries put away, fed the boys lunch, emptied the dishwasher, made snack and dinner for the boys, filled the dogs' water, cleaned the dog' ears, and put the flowers in the vase. I spent the rest of Monday at the birth, watching a skilled nurse-midwife facilitate the VBAC my client wanted despite circumstances that might have sent some providers running for the operating room. It was a great birth, the baby was perfect and I'm glad I was there to witness it. But it meant that I didn't get to bed until 2:00 in the morning. When I say that I am a morning person, I do not mean 2:00 in the morning. A mere five hours later the sun was up and my children were up and my husband was getting ready to leave for work. I had a follow-up scheduled for...

Making Christmas

Years ago, when my parents married, my mother asked my father what he would like her to make for Christmas. He asked for Julekake, a Scandinavian Christmas bread. It was common in the bakeries in my father's childhood Chicago, but it was more difficult to find in the small Army towns where my father was posted, so my mother found a recipe, and baked her own. We ate it with eggs or bacon or sausage every Christmas breakfast of my childhood. My mother baked simple round loaves studded with raisins and candied cherries. When I grew up I swapped out dried cherries for the candied ones. I baked it in the oven of my boyfriend's apartment before I went to share Christmas with his family, inhaled the scent of them to make it Christmas when the traditions around me were not my own. I've discovered that the fruit is not mandatory, though I'd never leave it out. A braid is traditional, and I'll make a braided loaf when I have time, though for gift giving I ...

Brown-Butter Buttercream Birthday Cake

Brown-Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream I have come here today to confess to Almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned.  In full knowledge of the importance of birthday cakes , I did willfully try to get away with making a pound cake for a friend's birthday because I didn't want to be bothered with frosting a layer cake. My feet were only set back on the path to righteousness by a stern rebuke from my friend's husband. (Okay, not a stern rebuke, but "statement of my friend's mild preference" seems sort of anti-climactic, doesn't it?) And, as it turned out, a different friend of mine had spurred a thread about brown butter over on Facebook and I had filed away the phrase "brown-butter buttercream" for future use. So I decided that if I was going to frost a cake I was going to do it with style. The first step is to brown the butter, which is a simple matter so long as you're willing to hang around the kitc...