Skip to main content

(Better Than) Coffee Shop Ginger Scones

Lunch in the Park, a novel about love and family, is available for sale in multiple electronic formats at Smashwords, for the Kindle at Amazon.com and for the Nook at BN.com Wherever you buy it, it is DRM-free. The delicious recipes that Kate and Jeff cook up are right here on my blog.

I hope you'll read Lunch in the Park, you'll love it, and you'll feel the overwhelming urge to write a review on one or more of the sites above. And of course I'd love to hear from you here on the blog, too. 


Have I told you the story of the “as good as store bought” lemonade?

No?

Years ago we were invited to a Fourth of July Picnic. We brought food of some description, and a gallon of homemade lemonade in a jug that had a previous life as a gallon of distilled water. One of our hosts was a big lemonade fan, and after drinking a glass checked the label. When I told him it was homemade he said “It's as good as store-bought.”

I lifted my chin a bit and said “In some cultures that's not a compliment.”

“Yes,” replied his sister. “Like this one.”

He went on to expound on his theory that some things are simply better when store-bought. Lemonade was one of them, cheesecake another. He would not be dissuaded.

A few years later I was reading reviews on a molasses cookie recipe, and found this comment “These are just as good as the ones at [big coffee chain].” Imagine that, a cookie that is as good as the over-sized, over-sweet, under-flavored baked goods sold alongside 1 liter cups of burnt coffee. That really is an accomplishment. snort

We know Kate orders a chai and a ginger scone when she meets Jeff on Friday afternoons. The scones at Kate's favorite tea and coffee shop are closer to homemade than the monsters at the chain shops, but they're still quite large. If you want smaller scones, form the dough into two circles instead of one and bake for less time. Either way, these are just-sweet, quite gingery and a perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea.

A food processor makes this recipe very easy to put together, but you can cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter, or two knives, or just rub it in with your fingers.

Ginger Scone

Ginger Scones

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 inch piece fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup crystallized ginger
additional sugar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.

Peel and grate the fresh ginger.

Chop crystallized ginger.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, powdered ginger and grated ginger in the bowl of a food processor (or in a medium mixing bowl.) Pulse or stir to combine. Cube the butter and cut it into the flour mixture until it resembles wet sand. Stir in buttermilk to form a dough.

Dump dough onto a floured surface. Sprinkle the chopped crystallized ginger over the dough. Knead the dough just long enough to distribute the ginger.

Form the dough into ball and place on the parchment paper. Flatten into a disc about 8-9 inches across.

Cut into 8 equal triangles but do not separate. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until the scones begin to brown around the edges. Allow to cool, then cut into individual scones.  

Comments

  1. I think I know whose picnic that was. The host has a way with words. ;) And I think I have taken tea from that very cup!

    I was picking at leftover candied ginger tonight. Still haven't made banana bread. But perhaps scones are in order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make the banana bread and the scones. You can freeze the banana bread for later and eat the scones right away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Butter(less) Chickpeas

On Monday morning I got a call from a client, warning that my services would be needed soon. The threat of labor makes me pretty efficient. I filled and ran the dishwasher, cleaned the sink, took the boys grocery shopping, got the groceries put away, fed the boys lunch, emptied the dishwasher, made snack and dinner for the boys, filled the dogs' water, cleaned the dog' ears, and put the flowers in the vase. I spent the rest of Monday at the birth, watching a skilled nurse-midwife facilitate the VBAC my client wanted despite circumstances that might have sent some providers running for the operating room. It was a great birth, the baby was perfect and I'm glad I was there to witness it. But it meant that I didn't get to bed until 2:00 in the morning. When I say that I am a morning person, I do not mean 2:00 in the morning. A mere five hours later the sun was up and my children were up and my husband was getting ready to leave for work. I had a follow-up scheduled for...

Making Christmas

Years ago, when my parents married, my mother asked my father what he would like her to make for Christmas. He asked for Julekake, a Scandinavian Christmas bread. It was common in the bakeries in my father's childhood Chicago, but it was more difficult to find in the small Army towns where my father was posted, so my mother found a recipe, and baked her own. We ate it with eggs or bacon or sausage every Christmas breakfast of my childhood. My mother baked simple round loaves studded with raisins and candied cherries. When I grew up I swapped out dried cherries for the candied ones. I baked it in the oven of my boyfriend's apartment before I went to share Christmas with his family, inhaled the scent of them to make it Christmas when the traditions around me were not my own. I've discovered that the fruit is not mandatory, though I'd never leave it out. A braid is traditional, and I'll make a braided loaf when I have time, though for gift giving I ...

Brown-Butter Buttercream Birthday Cake

Brown-Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream I have come here today to confess to Almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned.  In full knowledge of the importance of birthday cakes , I did willfully try to get away with making a pound cake for a friend's birthday because I didn't want to be bothered with frosting a layer cake. My feet were only set back on the path to righteousness by a stern rebuke from my friend's husband. (Okay, not a stern rebuke, but "statement of my friend's mild preference" seems sort of anti-climactic, doesn't it?) And, as it turned out, a different friend of mine had spurred a thread about brown butter over on Facebook and I had filed away the phrase "brown-butter buttercream" for future use. So I decided that if I was going to frost a cake I was going to do it with style. The first step is to brown the butter, which is a simple matter so long as you're willing to hang around the kitc...